Monday, October 11, 2010

From lost text to Hamlet (How dare she?)

I hate mistypings on pages that do strange things and delete your two paragraphs of text through mere three new letters typed in.

I had something about the site still not being able to flourish, the way their file manager still isn't working, and you can't do FTP from public computers. Now I don't. I also don't have whatever it was I had written down about having finally seen Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (minus the first half an hour or so).

I know I was about to write something of 101 reasons to see that being right about the Placido Domingo and his "In Pace" at the end though. That and having appreciated Derek Jacobi and Charlton Heston the most in the actor-fest that it was, having things to say of some details maybe, lose them as you did as more of it passed in front of you.

I usually appreciate Derek Jacobi, sure, but somehow he seemed the most appealing of all the actors in that Hamlet there. Maybe it's that I'd rather play Claudius or Gertrude than Hamlet or Ophelia. Maybe it's that I have problems with some Shakesperean deliveries, no matter how appreciated in general.

While good and audible and all that, I had the occasional flashback to Patrick Stewart's speeches in Star Trek- The Next Generation, all Shakespeare from one angle or another. I don't remember what I thought of Stewart in A Christmas Carol or whatever I saw in London, but there are times when the delivery or "RADA-accented savages" from Blake's 7 or other things begin to grate me for how well everybody projects everything and whatever the technique and skill set. It seems even more bad form to get tired of what is necessary on stage and brings clarity, especially when you generally like Shakespeare and the same actors in other circumstances. Sometimes it just gets too much and you end up rolling your eyes over the same thing yet again. Which is where appreciating Jacobi and some others of the lot comes in, no doubt. Wield it well and it works better than the others, skillful as all may be.

I assume it's me though. "I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed, it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire! Why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours." Ho, ho, ho.

Once I get back home, maybe I'll have something more intelligent to say, too, although again you're in territories where you'd need to have decades of scholarly attention directed at the thing you're daring to say something about. I do however disagree with an IMDB reviewer on the "Act 4 scene 4 soliloquy (Which again is usually cut out) is nothing short of a cinematic marvel as the camera slowly pulls back as the intensity grows". I thought it the worst if meant to be serious. It was too much for my taste, with the music and the ridiculousness of it all. I couldn't tell if it was intentional, there being potential for that as well, but if not, count me among those to see through such things then.

No comments:

Post a Comment